Saturday, May 8, 2010

honey mustard vinaigrette

When weeks are long and busy, you have to make sure there are things to look forward to.  For example, every week we have TNBLTC (Tuesday night bacon-lettuce-tomato club) after classes.  Health-conscious as we are, however, we decided to switch it up with hot dogs one week.  Now, something that actually has to do with this recipe, is that from hot dog night we had some honey mustard left over and I decided to try it out as salad dressing.


Most recipes tell you to use honey and mustard, but pre-made honey mustard is almost better (but let's not get into processed foods...).  As usual, I didn't measure, but if I had to pull some numbers out of my... imagination, I would say: 1-2 tablespoons prepared honey mustard, 2-3 tablespoons (olive) oil, 1-2 tablespoons (apple cider) vinegar, and a good amount of salt and pepper.  It's strong, but if it turns out too sour for your liking, add a teaspoon or so of water.

For the salad itself, you can go wild.  I really like it with chopped up apples and strawberries.  Tip: I always add a little lemon juice to cut apples to keep them from turning brown and because I like the flavor.  In the picture I also sliced up a hot dog (a Leitmotiv, one might say).  You could use any protein, really.  Ham, pepperoni, garbanzo beans*, chicken breast...

* Did you know garbanzo beans are the same as chickpeas?  I didn't.  Also, one cup covers 25% of your daily protein.

2 comments:

  1. "some honey mustard left over" eh? Well I'm quite happy to have forgotten it since such a delicious creation was produced. Can't wait to try it! And since we were sooooo healthy last night, I think it would be okay to resume normal TNBLTC activities tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delish! A french girl taught me how to make something similar. A balsamic vinaigrette with the same ingredients plus balsamic vinegar. I love your cooking skillz!

    ReplyDelete